Friday, May 25, 2012

06 ON HOW CHOPPING BASIL IS SOMEWHAT THERAPEUTIC

I saw the guy again, he was wearing the same suit. I introduced myself. I asked him his name. He just stood quietly looking around himself. I attempted to make small talk but it was no use. He never said anything. I felt really awkward so I just went to work. 


At work I came up with this weird thing.


ON HOW CHOPPING BASIL IS SOMEWHAT THERAPEUTIC 



The drama of the hour.
Workplace tension surrounding
Every corner, so much that it
Can be cut with a knife
And served as a filet.
The knife suddenly is in my hand,
And although the stress is
Served to me gratis on a
Golden platter, I rather not have any.
I turn my attention to the basil:
Humble green leaves scattered
Across the lime colored cutting board
Like sheep heading to the slaughter.
And I am the executioner.
With swift, quick chops,
I decapitate the head of the leaf.
Slowly the population grows,
Turning from few happy peasants,
To terrified masses.
I see the blood flow
From the green veins,
Filling the air with aromas
That stimulate multiple sense.
Wonderful.
Lustful.
Orgasmic.
I can’t stop.
I pick up a tin casket and
Fill it with the corpses
Of the once lively leaves.
My work is now complete.
I hold my wrist tight,
Now tired from the incessant chopping
And look around:
The thick musty smell of work induced stress
Is now substituted by the pungent and sensual
Aroma of the basil,
Which now lays dead in a small pan,
After embracing death just to
Bring food to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment